Murray's Bridge Paddock
Real-time tutorial film about the painting "Murray's Bridge Paddock"
This is a watercolour painting of a group of cows feeding on a green pasture in a very dry Queensland landscape. The image I am working from is one I took on my travels between Boonah and Warwick in the South East Queensland region, 100km south-east of Brisbane.
This painting is a studio painting. I narrate the film throughout and discuss the various aspects of painting this image.
This painting will give you an understanding of;
- the colours and the mixing of colours i undertake
- the sequences I create to painting the various elements
- and the techniques I employ to achieve the final watercolour painting.
Szczepan graduated with an Honours Degree in Architecture from the University of Auckland in 1993. Whilst he had spent his formative years painting and sketching, it wasn’t until 2013 that he rekindled his love of watercolour painting.
In 2013 Szczepan started sketching alongside a number of local urban artists – the “Brisbane Urban Sketchers” and the Brisbane “Plein-Air” Group. Together with another architect he produced and published a book in 2015 entitled “A Brisbane Sketchbook”. In it they presented 72 paintings and sketches, giving an interesting and alternative account of Brisbane’s historic buildings and urban spaces. The book provided Szczepan the perfect impetus and stepping stone to move “full-circle” into a new creative cycle – watercolour.
Through 2015 and 2016 Szczepan attended workshops offered by some of Australia’s leading watercolour artists. In particular, the Melbourne workshops led by Alvaro Castagnet and Herman Pekel gave him the confidence to move beyond the rigid confines of his professional training - of technical details and straight lines and into a world abound in fluidity of forms, from the “literal” towards an expression of the essence of “form”, “mood” and “light”.
He is particularly interested in painting en-plein-air and pursues every opportunity to paint outdoors, to paint spontaneously and be challenged by the elements.
In 2018 he started teaching watercolour classes beginners and advanced students and continues to offer workshops in a variety of specialist subjects. He was in 2018 also selected as one of Australia’s representatives to the Fabriano in Acquarello Festival in Fabriano, Italy in May 2018.
He is an active member of the Watercolour Society of Queensland and is injecting a new excitement into the local watercolour scene. He continues to develop a broad range of subject material to supplement his love of architectural and urban themes. Recently exploring nautical themes and seascapes alongside a lifelong fascination with sailing craft and old gaffers.
CLASSES & WORKSHOPS
Beginning in early 2018 Szczepan has been running classes and workshops to enthusiastic capacity audiences. His painting style and teaching delivery are creating a renewed interest in watercolour. Some of the workshops he has delivered include;
- 6 weeks “Watercolour Techniques for Beginners” BPC (Brisbane Painting Classes) Albion, October 2019 – 6-week class
- FREE Plein air sessions, Brisbane, 21-26 October 2019 - workshops
- 10 week “beyond beginner” classes starting 24 September 2019 - class
- 6 weeks “Watercolour Techniques for Beginners” BPC (Brisbane Painting Classes) Albion, August 2019 – 6-week class
- Seascapes, SZCZ Studio, 29 June 2019 - workshop
- Landscapes, SZCZ Studio, 22 June 2019 - workshop
- Buildings & shadows, SZCZ Studio, 16 March 2019 - workshop
- Sailing boats & reflections, SZCZ Studio, 09 February 2019 - workshop
- 5 week “beyond beginner” classes starting 24 June 2019 - class
- 5 week “beginner” classes starting 06 May 2019 - class
- 10 week “beyond beginner” classes starting 30 April 2019 - class
- 5 week “beyond beginner” classes starting 29 April 2019 - class
- 5 week “beyond beginner” classes starting 05 February 2019 - class
- 5 week “beyond beginner” classes starting 04 February 2019 - class
- 10 week “beyond beginner” classes starting 29 January 2019 - class
Szczepan is continually learning and developing his style and confidence in watercolour. He has attended numerous workshops with some of Australia’s great watercolour artists. These include;
- Alvaro Castagnet – 10 & 11 November 2018, QCA Studios, Griffith University, South Bank campus
- Alvaro Castagnet – 7 & 8 November 2018, Commodores Rooms, RNA Showgrounds, Brisbane. WSQ
- Herman Pekel – 13-14 October 2018, Wisteria Cottage, Mt. Tamborine, QLD
- Helen Beaver – February 2018, The Hub, Tarragindi, Brisbane. WSQ
- Herman Pekel – 10-12 August 2017, Wisteria Cottage, Mt. Tamborine, QLD
- Jacky Pearson – 14 & 15 May 2017, The Hub, Tarragindi, Brisbane. WSQ
- Alvaro Castagnet – 10 - 12 December 2016, Seniors Art Supply Studio, Malvern, Melbourne, VIC
- Alvaro Castagnet – 17 - 19 November 2015, Seniors Art Supply Studio, Malvern, Melbourne, VIC
EXHIBITIONS & AWARDS
- 2019 - Exhibitor – BOH (Brisbane Open House) at RAIA Brisbane chapter, 70 Merivale Street, South Brisbane, 01st – 13th Oct 2019. 10 watercolour works
- 2019 - SOLO EXHIBITION – “Watercolours on the Goodwill Bridge”, one night only 27th Sept 2019. 15 watercolour works
- 2019 - Co-Exhibitor - “Sand & Sea” exhibition at Revival Art & Design Gallery, Lutwyche, Brisbane, 14th - 22nd Sept 2019.
- 2019 - Exhibitor - 2019 Annual Exhibition with the Watercolour Society of Queensland
- 2019 - Top 100 watercolour artists (1 of 3 Australians) in International Watercolour Online Contest, IWS Sare Gallery, Moscow, Russia, August 2019. “Tokyo night”
- 2019 - 3rd Prize in Traditional Watercolour Category - “Dayboro Cows” - 2019 Brookfield Art Exhibition, Brookfield Show.
- 2018 - Winner – People’s Choice Award “Peaceful Morning in Manly Marina – no. 2”, 2018, Annual Art Competition, Wynnum Manly Yacht Club, Wynnum.
- 2018 - 1st Prize in Traditional Category - “Peaceful Morning in Manly Marina” - 2018 Annual
- 2018 - Exhibitor - 2018 Autumn Exhibition with the Watercolour Society of Queensland, Exhibition, Watercolour Society of Queensland
- 2018 - Exhibitor – FabrianoinAcquarello Exhibition, May 2018, Fabriano, Italy
- 2017 - 2nd Prize in Traditional Category - “Japanese Garden-Mt Coot-tha” - 2017 Annual Exhibition, Watercolour Society of Queensland
- 2017 - Exhibitor - 2017 Autumn Exhibition with the Watercolour Society of Queensland